Some of these insights were shared by Harold Dreyer with me on
Thanksgiving 2003. I've sought and found a larger set on the web, linked above.
They're written by Andy Rooney, a man who has the gift of saying so
much with so few words. I've further compressed them by removing the
I've learned prefix from each insight.
- The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
- When you're in love, it shows.
- Just one person saying to me, "You've made my day!" makes my day.
- Having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
- Being kind is more important than being right.
- You should never say no to a gift from a child.
- I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
- No matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
- Sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
- Simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
- Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
- We should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.
- Money doesn't buy class.
- It's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
- That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
- The Lord didn't do it all in one day. What makes me think I can?
- To ignore the facts does not change the facts.
- When you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
- Love, not time, heals all wounds.
- the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
- Everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
- there's nothing sweeter than sleeping with your babies and feeling their breath on your cheeks.
- No one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
- Life is tough, but I'm tougher.
- Opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.
- When you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.
- I wish I could have told my Dad that I love him one more time before he passed away.
- One should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
- A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
- I can't choose how I feel, but I can choose what I do about it.
- When your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.
- Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
- That it is best to give advice in only two circumstances; when it is requested and when it is a life threatening situation.
- The less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.